[R-sig-Geo] distance calculation; meuse.grid

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jul 3 11:11:39 CEST 2006

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 karl.sommer at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:

> Hello
>
> I was wondering if there is a way in "R" or "sp" to calculate shortest
> distance from a given object such as a river, similar to the data example
> "meuse.grid"  under the gstat package. I was wondering how the "dist"
> variable in the "meuse.grid"  file was orignially calculated?  I would like
> to perform a similar calculation as shortest distance for each point in a
> field (1m x 1m grid) from an irrigation channel for which I have generated
> a shape file.  Or is such an operation better performed in a GIS
> environment?

You can use spDistsN1() in sp to measure distances from many points to one
point, including Great Circle distances. This will not be good enough for
distances between other kinds of objects, so a GIS is the obvious choice
for that. My guess for the origins of the meuse.grid distances is
PCRaster, a raster GIS. If your irrigation channel has a lot of detail,
you could use spDistsN1 in a loop between the grid of points and each
point representing the channel, but it would be very messy, a GIS is
designed to do this.

Roger