[R-sig-Geo] compiling spproj on osx

Horacio Samaniego horacio.samaniego at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:08:22 CET 2006

With the kind insight of Roger, I have been able to identify and
solve the problem. Here is a summary:

If you have upgraded your OSX system from Panther to Tiger you should
know that the compilers have changed from gcc3.3 to gcc4.0 this
creates some instabilities when it comes to compile R packages which
are well explained here: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/
2005-July/002031.html

in short you need to make sure that the system uses gcc-3.3 by
running `gcc_select 3.3' before you compile the package which in my
case was spproj and spGDAL

This solved my installation issue, I hope it'll help.

thanks,

Horacio

On Jan 27, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Horacio Samaniego wrote:

> I got to the point where I would need the spproj package to reproject
> som sp dataframes. However, when I try to install the package from
> http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R/src/contrib/spproj_0.3-4.tar.gz,
> I get the following error.
> Is this an incompatibility with os x 10.4 or am I missing something
> in my path?

The authors and maintainers have no access to OSX, so we can't help. Can
you build and install other source packages including compiled C
code? Was
your R installed from binary or source? Which OSX is this? Have you
looked
on the R-sig-Mac list archives https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-
mac/.
I guess you have looked at the FAQ - "2.1.3 libreadline 4.3 or higher"
mentions the -lcc_dynamic issue, but I don't know if this applies to
you.
There is also a wiki at http://wiki.urbanek.info/index.cgi?HomePage

Without (intimate) knowledge of OSX (with many versions) and the build
trains (with even more versions), it isn't easy to help.

Roger