[R-sig-Geo] Help with the Kmeasure function from the Spatstat package

Virgilio Gómez-Rubio v.gomezrubio at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 12:33:13 CET 2006

Hi,

El vie, 08-12-2006 a las 09:59 +0800, Adrian Baddeley escribió:
> Virgilio Gomez-Rubio writes:
>
> >  Diggle (2003), for example, describes what you ask and most of the
> > examples in the book can be reproduced using package Splancs. Check
> > manual page of function mse2d and references (in Splancs) as well.
>
> I beg to disagree. The function 'Kmeasure' in spatstat does not have
> a counterpart in any other R package, to my knowledge.
> The function mse2d (splancs) is not appropriate for selecting the
> sigma parameter in Kmeasure.

Yes, that is absolute true!!! I apologise, I realise now that what I
said was completely non-sense!! Sorry, I messed things up in my head (I
shall take more time to reply to e-mails next time).
I completely agree with Prof. Baddeley's advice.

> In general terms, spatstat is by far the largest and most extensive R package
> for analysing spatial point patterns. The writer's recommendation to
> ignore this huge package is a bit misguided.

I apologise again. Spatstat is the most comprehensive R package for
point processes nowadays, with contributions by most of the main
contributors to the field.

I recommended Splancs because Debs mentioned he was interested in
measuring clustering and then I thought of clustering in Spatial
Epidemiology, which is not probably what he wants to do. That was my
main reason to recommend Splancs and Diggle (2003). I know that most of
the analysis can be done with spatstat as well but I do not know if all
the methods are already included in spatstat. Probably they are now,
since I have noticed a big grow in the number of functions in recent
releases.

Finally, I would like to say that I also use spatstat myself to analyse
point patterns.

Best regards,

Virgilio