[R-sig-Geo] Help with the Kmeasure function from the Spatstat package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 8 09:19:37 CET 2006

Adrian,

I'm sure your description of Kmeasure is very welcome, and gives a
foretaste of what the e-recipe book on http://www.spatstat.org/ will
offer. Given the rapid development in the spatstat package, and the large
number of contributors to the package, it is perhaps worth saying that
spatstat is the only package for analysing spatial point patterns among
the three commonly referenced packages: spatial (supporting the book
MASS), splancs (originally written for S in the early 1990s), and
spatstat, that is under active development. Both spatial and splancs
represent the ways spatial point patterns were analysed at the time they
were written, and constitute a useful record of where the subject has come
from.

Only spatstat shows where the subject is going, supplemented by a number
of narrower packages, such as MarkedPointProcess. Only spatstat has a rich
range of S3 classes for point pattern objects - the maptools package now
contains wrappers for moving between classes defined in spatstat and those
S4 classes defined in the sp package. Having splancs and spatial
available, it is convenient to cross-check how implementation may impact
output for shared methods of analysis. They are also useful for following
up and reproducing published work documented as using them, such as MASS
and the point pattern chapters in Bailey and Gatrell, so they will be
maintained in the future.

Roger

PS. Using spatstat, I notice that if the boot package is loaded, its
envelope() function gets masked by the function of the same name in
spatstat. Unfortunately, both have many named arguments, but the spatstat
one could dispatch on class ppp or ppm, and the boot one on class boot or
default. Maybe an S3 method with envelope(Y, ...) would be a way out?