[R-sig-Geo] create listw-objects from shapefiles

Catherine Linard linard at geog.ucl.ac.be
Mon Dec 4 16:32:32 CET 2006

Dear R-sig-geo list,

I would like to do some spatial analyses such as
moran.test, for which I need a listw. I have
shapefile data, so I tried to apply the following steps:

-         create spatial polygons with readShapePoly (maptools package)
-         create neighbours list by poly2nb (spdep package)
-         create spatial weights with nb2listw

I get an error message for the last step saying
that my nb-object is empty but I have results in
the neigbours list object in the previous step

Here are my results:

 > lyme <- readShapePoly ("Filename",
proj4string=CRS(as.character (NA)), verbose=FALSE)

 > summary(lyme)
Object of class SpatialPolygonsDataFrame
Coordinates:
         min      max
r1 22120.69 295156.8
r2 21153.22 244018.8
Is projected: NA
proj4string : [NA]
Data attributes: different attributes

 > lyme_nb <- poly2nb(as(lyme, "SpatialPolygons"))
 > summary(lyme_nb)
Neighbour list object:
Number of regions: 589
Number of nonzero links: 3314
Percentage nonzero weights: 0.9552607
Average number of links: 5.626486
2 regions with no links:
44 78
Link number distribution:

   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10  11  12  14  15
   2   2  10  35  75 170 144  86  38  17   5   1   2   1   1
2 least connected regions:
8 363 with 1 link
1 most connected region:
73 with 15 links

 > lyme_w <- nb2listw(lyme_nb,glist=NULL,style="W",zero.policy=FALSE)
Error in nb2listw(lyme_nb, glist = NULL, style = "W", zero.policy = FALSE) :
         Empty neighbour sets found

Is there something wrong? Do I miss something?
Thank you very much for any help!

Catherine

Catherine Linard
University of Louvain