[R-sig-Geo] randomForests for mapping vegetation with big data

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Tue Aug 1 14:22:13 CEST 2006

Alberto -

I am doing the same with randomForests: We are working with 22,578 X
17,160 pixel GRIDS and 36 environmental variables. The big difference is
that we don't have nearly that size data frames for training data. In
the few cases that we do have a lot of points/rows (up to about 20,000)
, we end up running fewer trees (down from 600 to 100 trees).

I think it may be more appropriate to divide by running fewer trees on
the entire set if you can. Try running 50-100 trees on the 300000 row
data frame, and then making sure you aren't starting from the same
random seed, keep running these smaller sets until you get the total
number of trees you want. Then combine them to make your prediction.

The difficult, memory intensive part for us is running the prediction
on our large GRIDS. For this we have to read in the data from the 36
environmental variables (in ascii format) line by line and then write
out the prediction before reading in the next batch.

Tim Howard