[R-sig-Geo] regression and cluster analysis with shapefiles: data import problems

Anja Matatko Anja.Matatko at alta4.com
Tue Apr 25 17:37:04 CEST 2006

Dear list,

I have a shapefile with several numerical attributes and want to do cluster and regression analysis with this data (sociodemographic data). I use the read.shapefile-command to import my data (it is well imported, it appears as an object), and then my first problem occurs:

I want to do the analysis as in Anselin's "An Introduction to Spatial Regression Analysis in R" or the FAO publication by Petrucci / Salvati / Seghieri "The application of a spatial regression model to the analysis and mapping of poverty", but they all use other raw data than shapefiles and I couldn't find a hint how to convert my shapefile to a format that supports the lm() or similar functions.

I think there are two problems to solve:

- I need to have access to the headers of my shapefile attribute data, in order to execute commands as mydata$variable1 (actually, I can't call mydata$variable1, I just get the answer NULL)

- I need something to get the spatial information contained in the shapefile (my attribute table has no x y coordinates included). Or is it really necessary to insert x and y columns in the attribute table with the help of ArcGIS?

Thanks for help,

Anja (student of applied geography writing masters thesis about the use of geographical information systems and several "spatial statistics software" - including R - in planning support, in domains not much affiliated to spatial analysis but working with spatial data)

Anja Matatko
alta4 Geoinformatik AG
Frauenstraße 8-9
54290 Trier/Germany
voice: +49.651.96626-0
fax: +49.651.96626-26
email: anja.matatko at alta4.com
internet: http://www.alta4.com

Die nächsten GIS-Schulungen:
- ArcGIS 9 Umsteiger: 15. - 17.05.06 in München
- ArcGIS 9 Geoprocessing & Model Builder: 18. - 19.05.06 in München
- What's New in ArcGIS 9.1?: 22.-23.05.06 in Trier
- ArcGIS Digitalisieren: 02.06.06 in Trier
Weitere Infos: http://www.alta4.com/de/schulung/index.php

Treffen Sie uns auf folgenden Veranstaltungen:
- IT-Messe: 04.-05.05.06 in Trier
- ESRI Anwenderkonferenz: 09.-11.05.06 in Salzburg
Weitere Infos: http://www.alta4.com/de/alta4/events.php