[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing spproj

Sander Oom sander at oomvanlieshout.net
Sun Apr 23 18:02:58 CEST 2006

Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Sander Oom wrote:
>
>> Dear R-geo subscribers,
>>
>> Using the following commands, I am trying in vain to install spproj:
>>
>> rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
>> install.packages("spproj", repos=rSpatial)
>>
>> I get the following response:
>>
>>> rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
>>> install.packages("spproj", repos=rSpatial)
>> trying URL
>> 'http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R/src/contrib/spproj_0.3-4.tar.gz'
>> Content type 'application/x-tar' length 2466730 bytes
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 2408Kb
>>
>> * Installing *source* package 'spproj' ...
>> creating cache ./config.cache
>> checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
>> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
>> checking for proj_api.h... no
>> libproj.a and proj_api.h not found in standard search locations,
>> edit src/Makevars manually, adding -I<directory with proj_api.h>
>> to PKG_CPPFLAGS = , and -L<directory with libproj.a> to PKG_LIBS =
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'spproj'
>> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/spproj'
>>
>> The downloaded packages are in
>>         /tmp/Rtmpsq7239/downloaded_packages
>> Warning message:
>> installation of package 'spproj' had non-zero exit status in:
>> install.packages("spproj", repos = rSpatial)
>
> spproj depends on the external library PROJ.4 from:
>
> http://www.remotesensing.org/proj
>
> which you need to install first.
>
> Roger

Dear Roger,

Thanks for your quick reply. The installation of Proj is actually not
mentioned on the r-spatial pages. Maybe a point of attention. I already
checked and now double checked the installation of Proj:

I have proj-4.4.9-1suse10.0.i586 installed (using the rpm from GDF).

There is a directory: usr/share/proj
While there is an executable: usr/bin/proj

Is spproj expecting it somewhere else?

Sander.