[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing spproj

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Sun Apr 23 16:20:04 CEST 2006

Dear R-geo subscribers,

Using the following commands, I am trying in vain to install spproj:

rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
install.packages("spproj", repos=rSpatial)

I get the following response:

> rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
> install.packages("spproj", repos=rSpatial)
trying URL
'http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R/src/contrib/spproj_0.3-4.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 2466730 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 2408Kb

* Installing *source* package 'spproj' ...
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for proj_api.h... no
libproj.a and proj_api.h not found in standard search locations,
edit src/Makevars manually, adding -I<directory with proj_api.h>
to PKG_CPPFLAGS = , and -L<directory with libproj.a> to PKG_LIBS =
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'spproj'
** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/spproj'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/Rtmpsq7239/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
installation of package 'spproj' had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages("spproj", repos = rSpatial)

I am using R:
> version
         _
platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    2
minor    2.1
year     2005
month    12
day      20
svn rev  36812
language R

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sander

PS:  The SP packages loaded with no problems:

> options(repos = "http://cran.r-project.org/")
> install.packages("sp")
trying URL 'http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/sp_0.8-14.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 312138 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 304Kb

* Installing *source* package 'sp' ...
** libs
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC   -c gcdist.c -o
gcdist.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC   -c init.c -o init.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC   -c pip.c -o pip.o
gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include  -I/usr/local/include   -fPIC   -c Rcentroid.c
-o Rcentroid.o
gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib -o sp.so gcdist.o init.o pip.o Rcentroid.o
  -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** save image

** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'sp'
     Formats: text html latex example
  00sp                              text    html    latex
  AttributeList-class               text    html    latex   example
  CRS-class                         text    html    latex   example
  DMS-class                         text    html    latex   example
  GridTopology-class                text    html    latex   example
  Line-class                        text    html    latex   example
  Line                              text    html    latex
  Lines-class                       text    html    latex   example
  Polygon-class                     text    html    latex   example
  Polygons-class                    text    html    latex   example
  Rlogo                             text    html    latex   example
  Spatial-class                     text    html    latex   example
  SpatialGrid-class                 text    html    latex   example
  SpatialGrid                       text    html    latex   example
  SpatialGridDataFrame-class        text    html    latex   example
  SpatialGridDataFrame              text    html    latex   example
  SpatialLines-class                text    html    latex   example
  SpatialLines                      text    html    latex
  SpatialLinesDataFrame-class       text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPixels-class               text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPixelsDataFrame-class      text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPoints-class               text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPoints                     text    html    latex
  SpatialPointsDataFrame-class      text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPolygons-class             text    html    latex   example
  SpatialPolygons                   text    html    latex
  SpatialPolygonsDataFrame-class    text    html    latex   example
  as.SpatialPolygons.GridTopology   text    html    latex   example
  as.SpatialPolygons.PolygonsList   text    html    latex   example
  asciigrid                         text    html    latex   example
  bbox                              text    html    latex   example
  bpy.colors                        text    html    latex   example
  bubble                            text    html    latex   example
  char2dms                          text    html    latex   example
  contourLines2SLDF                 text    html    latex   example
  coordinates-methods               text    html    latex
  coordinates                       text    html    latex   example
  coordnames-methods                text    html    latex
  degaxis                           text    html    latex   example
  dimensions                        text    html    latex   example
  gridded-methods                   text    html    latex   example
  gridlines                         text    html    latex   example
  image                             text    html    latex   example
  is.projected                      text    html    latex   example
  mapasp                            text    html    latex
  meuse                             text    html    latex   example
  meuse.grid                        text    html    latex   example
  meuse.riv                         text    html    latex   example
  nowrapSpatialLines                text    html    latex   example
  overlay-methods                   text    html    latex
  overlay                           text    html    latex   example
  panel                             text    html    latex   example
  point.in.polygon                  text    html    latex   example
  polygons-methods                  text    html    latex
  polygons                          text    html    latex   example
  recenter-methods                  text    html    latex   example
  select.spatial                    text    html    latex   example
  spDistsN1                         text    html    latex   example
  spplot                            text    html    latex   example
  spsample                          text    html    latex   example
  stack                             text    html    latex   example
  transform-methods                 text    html    latex
  zerodist                          text    html    latex   example
** building package indices ...
* DONE (sp)