[R-sig-Geo] projection metadata

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Tue Apr 18 01:33:44 CEST 2006

>>> I'd like to generalize this by mapping the XML tags to PROJ.4 arguments.
>>>

> If Manifold can output Well-Known Text WKT forms, in one mutation ESRI
> WKT, then they are already read in rgdal (readOGR() reads them among
> others). The projection code from what was spproj is now included in
> rgdal, by the way - documentation on the websites will follow shortly.

Thanks Roger - it turns out that this WKT ESRI text works for Manifold
when it accompanies a shapefile as a .prj file. At least for one
instance of lcc that I've tested. ;)
That makes the R to Manifold traverse very simple, for shapefiles.  I've
yet to test .MIF, GeoTIFF etc.

Manifold will export this ESRI WKT manually in 6.50 SP1, but this is not
yet possible programmatically.

I've made a little bit of progress with the XML way - I can read it and
convert it to a proj string - but it's pretty kludgy.  I'll try to clean
up what I've done and report.
There's no clear heirarchy of how to specify datums versus coordinate
system parameters and trying to cover the options is just very
complicated. I can probably make a working
version that assumes WGS84 without too much trouble, with a lookup file
for PROJ.4 names to Manifold names.

I will also request Manifold to incorporate the WKT  and PROJ.4 strings
in the XML, at least as an option - certainly the EPSG codes as
initials.  This seems to be about as far as the OGR xml forms go - it
would make for a fairly simple R import and metadata assigment from
these files.

Cheers, Mike.