[R-sig-Geo] WGS84 conversion to UTM

Taylor, RB rbt501 at york.ac.uk
Thu Apr 13 12:31:08 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I'm a rather new user to R, so please excuse my ignorance. I understand
in R there are different spatial packages that allow one to do a variety
of spatial analyses. I have collected GPS in WGS84 in South Africa. I
have the data in a tab-deliniated txt file (along with attribute data)
and in .shp files. I want to be able to read the text file (or ascii)
into R and then batch convert long lat to UTM (34 S), and then do some
analyses in R. I can across the website
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/xtra/xtra.RHnw.html#spproj, which seems
quite good. But I don't seem to be able to replicate the same procedure
with my files. Being fairly new to R, I am not all that familiar with
the syntax so perhaps this is why I can't do it.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks

PS I work in a windows environment

--