[R-sig-Geo] (no subject); Clipping/Subsetting Sp objects (was no subject)

Tim Keitt tkeitt at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:39:09 CEST 2006

You'll notice that I wasn't volunteering.. :-)

I guess my main comment re massive datasets, etc. is that once I learned
about the power of generic programming (we've been adapting the Boost
Graph Library to work with GIS), I always feel a great sense of waste
when I see nice algorithms chained pitifully to their data structures.
We shouldn't be writing code that depends on R to supply the data. That
will never scale. I agree that PostGIS is probably the way to go. It
would be nice if we could get PostGIS objects to masquerade as R objects
so folks need only learn one interface. Anyway, the sp stuff is a huge
step forward. Wish I had more time to work on some alternative backends.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt