[R-sig-Geo] Couldn't load "rmap_1.1.0.zip" to R 2.1.1 for Win

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Sep 28 09:06:01 CEST 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Hisaji ONO wrote:

> Thank you for your response for my question.
>
>  I have another question of loading "rmap_1.1.0.zip" to R
> 2.1.1 on Windows XP.
>
>  R2.1.1 said "'Rmap' is not valid package. It was probably
> installed in < 2.0.0. " on loading this rmap.
>
>  Will you not support Rmap for R 2.1.x since (sp)maptools
> has replaced Rmap?

Please remind me where the Windows binary package came from - is it the
product of your own success with MSYS? Part of the functionality for map
projections is in the spproj package, another part for shapefiles is in
the maptools (and/or shapefiles) packages, but no OGR support is available
elsewhere. Making a new binary build with fresh PROJ.4, shapelib, and OGR
under MSYS is an option.

In time merging OGR support into rgdal is logical, contributions? The
rgdal package CVS is also on sourceforge, at:

http://rgdal.sourceforge.net/

The use of sp classes with rgdal rasterobjects is being followed up, so
doing the same for OGR would seem sensible. Finally, spproj should perhaps
also be merged with rgdal, since rgdal has an indirect external dependence
on the PROJ.4 library and metadata anyway. The maptools package does not
have an external dependence, because the shapelib C files are copied there
and in the foreign package (for DBF).

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no