[R-sig-Geo] Generating random points

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Sep 14 00:53:12 CEST 2005

csr                 package:splancs                 R Documentation

Generate completely spatially random points on a polygon

     Generate completely spatially random points on a polygon.

Usage:

     csr(poly,npoints)

Arguments:

    poly: A polygon data set.

 npoints: The number of points to generate.

Details:

     'csr' generates points randomly in the bounding box of 'poly,'
     then uses  'pip' to extract those in the polygon. If the number of
     points remaining is less than that required, 'csr' generates some
     more points in the bounding box until at least 'npoints' remain
     inside the polygon. If too many points are generated then the list
     of points is truncated.

     Uses 'runif()' to generate random numbers and so updates
     '.Random.seed', the standard S random number generator seed.

... etc.