[R-sig-Geo] historical descriptions for mapping function in R

Susumu Tanimura stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Mon Oct 24 13:05:18 CEST 2005

Dear Roger,

> My copy of 0.1-alpha is dated 15 August 2000, and was written by
> Nicholas Lewin-Koh. It contained the first implementations of read.shape
> () and plot.Map(). The package was first published on CRAN in September
> 2003, see http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/M/. The
> polylist S3 objects were moved to maptools from spdep in 2003.

This is a great help for me.  I greatly appreciate your kindness.

It is interesting that the first publishing year of maptools is the
same as the year of pre-DSC'03 spatial data workshop. I enjoy
reviewing the history of map functions in R, although most of web
resources are in your site http://sal.uiuc.edu/csiss/Rgeo/.

Best regards,

--
Susumu Tanimura