[R-sig-Geo] R function to match closest points to second point set?

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 28 20:41:55 CET 2005

Hello all:

I checked inside most of the R spatial analysis packages, without success,
so I'll ask the list:

I have a set of data collection points georeferenced with lat/long
coordinates.
The task is to find the closest (in lat/long) matching point in a second
set of
points (polygon centroids, that I created with R get.Pcent() function).
both point sets are stored in data frames, I would like to record the
index of the matching point as a new column on the first data frame.

Is there an existing R function or package that would support this, or
get close?
Thanks for any assistance.

Thanks,
Rick R