[R-sig-Geo] Using adehabitat and splancs to achieve point-in-polygon analysis on raster?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Thu Mar 24 11:04:39 CET 2005

Dear Clement and Roger,

I send this email to you directly, because it concerns the link between
Adehabitat and Splancs.

I have two sources of polygons:
- polygon shape files with areas of interest;
- polygons calculated using the home range methods in Adehabitat.
For the moment, each polygon source will only contain a single polygon.

I have one source of points: a grid representing NDVI values. I read the
grid using the import.asc function in Adehabitat.

I would like to use both polygon sources to select the points in the
NDVI raster which are inside the relevant polygons. Then I want to run
several statistics (mean, standard deviation, etc) on the NDVI values of
these points.

I intend to use the function inpip from Splancs, but it is not clear to
me how I get the two polygon sources in the format used by Splancs.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sander.

Dr. Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences,
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel (work)      +27 (0)11 717 64 04
Tel (home)      +27 (0)18 297 44 51