[R-sig-Geo] symbols on a map

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geog.uu.nl
Tue Jun 28 12:41:04 CEST 2005

Hi Susuma, I agree with the previous suggestions. I know that
Roger is away for a while, and although I know little about
pixmap I will give it a try. I do not think that pixmap currently
actively supports transparency, in the sense that it stores
red/green/blue+alpha channels. However, it does support
indexed bitmaps, which have an index "channel" and a colour table.
You may want to create such a pixmap, and then give it
colors that have an alpha value, as in:

 > library(sp)
 > bpy.colors(10,alpha=.5)
 [1] "#00003380" "#00009980" "#0000FF80" "#5000FF80" "#9F0FF080" "#EF42BD80"
 [7] "#FF758A80" "#FFA85780" "#FFDB2480" "#FFFF6080"

Here, #FF758A80 refers to hexadecimal encoding of
red (FF) green (75) blue (8A) and transparency (80), all
on a scale from 0 (=00) to 255 (=FF). If the pixmap
accepts this, the consequent plotting method may
again pick up the transparency (alpha) level.

I haven't tried, but it may as well work.

HTH,
--
Edzer