[R-sig-Geo] Needed: example of WRITING an ESRI polygon shapefile with the Shapefiles write.shp, et.al routines...

Rick Reeves reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 20 20:36:34 CEST 2005

Greetings:

I would like to write the contents of an R polygon object
containing (what else?) polygons to an ESRI shapefile.

I turned to the shapefiles package, read the pdf, which
mentions that 'the write functions work just fine, but
building the necessary data in R to write out all the
appropriate data in the shp and dbf files is absent'.

Hmmm....

Can someone (maybe the authors) tell me if shapefiles
will just export the polygon outlines as shapefiles?
I can live without all the .dbf file contents or any
geographic projection information for now.

Can anyone share a code example that shows how to
use the shapefiles write.xxx() routines?

My input objects are the same ones that I use as input
to the R polygon() and points() methods.

Thanks for any help on this...

Rick Reeves
Sr. Scientific Programmer / Quantitative Analyst
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
University of California, Santa Barbara
805 892 2534
reeves at nceas.ucsb.edu