[R-sig-Geo] ArcGIS/R data exchange

Christof Bigler christof.bigler at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 14 19:47:11 CEST 2005

I would like to get some feedback on data exchange between ArcGIS and R
(both directions) under Windows. I noted that StatConnector can be used
to directly connect ArcGIS with R, and probably the R packages
"shapefiles" and "maptools" might be used for reading and writing ESRI
shapefiles.  Are these seamless procedures for the import and export of
different data types (grid, points, polygons)?
There's also the newly developed R package "sp" which might get the
standard tool for exchanging spatial data. Is this package mostly
intended for the exchange of different formats of spatial data within R
or is there a possibility to import data from and export to ArcGIS?
In R, I plan to work with the packages "spdep" and "nlme" for lattice
data and "spatstat" for point patterns.

Any advice is appreciated.

Christof