[R-sig-Geo] installing spgrass6

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 13 20:32:56 CEST 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Tim Keitt wrote:

> You need to set the CRAN option to point to a mirror. The latest
> versions of R don't provide a default mirror anymore.

Yes, if capabilities(c("tcltk", "X11")) are not TRUE, (like trying to
install on a server with no X11 display set), then there is no automatic
fallback from R trying to start tcltk to show a list of CRANs. The same
list is shown going to CRAN from http://www.r-project.org, so
install.packages(c("sp","rgdal"), dependencies=TRUE,
repos="http://cran.arsmachinandi.it/") or one of the other Italian
mirrors should get you there.

The help page for options says:

     'repos': The URLs of the repositories for use by
          'update.packages'.  Defaults to 'c(CRAN="@CRAN@")', a value
          that causes some utilities to prompt for a CRAN mirror.  To
          avoid this, use something like
          'options(repos=c(CRAN="http://my.local.cran/R"))'.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no