[R-sig-Geo] Problem with lagsarlm (spdep) with SparseM method

Gilles Spielvogel spielvogel at dial.prd.fr
Fri Jan 28 20:31:31 CET 2005

Regarding what I asked earlier: no error occurs if there are two exogenous
variables, and it does run incredibly faster (a few seconds instead of 15
minutes or so with the eigen method).
As far as I can understand, the problem I encountered comes from a sequence
in the sub-program dosparse, which says (in a loop over the columns of x):
	thisx<-x[,-i]
	lm.null<-lm.fit(thisx, y)
If x has only two columns (which is the case if there is only one variable
on the right hand side), thisx has only one column at each step of the loop
and is not seen as a matrix by the lm.fit function, which returns an error.

My questions are now:
- is my interpretation right ?
- is this a bug, or is this a desired feature ?
- if this a bug, is there a way to correct it and be able to run a lagsarlm
with one exogenous variable and the SparseM method ?

Thanks in advance.

Gilles