[R-sig-Geo] Hex GIS, (was) Moving-window ...

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Tue Jan 25 19:46:07 CET 2005

Hi Dennis and Frank,

Could you en light me on possible references (papers, books) about the
use of hexagons in spatial analysis? Did your search give any direction?

I am using the hexbin package (find it at bioconductor.org) and can
highly recommend it. Nicholas (the maintainer) is currently updating the
package!

Although hexbin and R are not a GIS, much of the 'GIS' functionality is
available in R!!

Cheers,

Sander.

Frank Hardisty wrote:
> Denis and All,
>
> The best thing out there is probably the "hexbin" package in R, based
> on Dan Carr's work. It's not a GIS, however. Hexagons do have some very
> nice properties for spatial analysis.
>
> -Frank Hardisty
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Frank Hardisty
> Department of Geography
> University of South Carolina
> hardisty at sc.edu
> Office -- 803-777-5729 Fax -- 803-777-4972
> http://www.cla.sc.edu/geog/faculty/hardistf/

> Does anyone know of a GIS based on a regular hexagon tessellation
> rather
> than on squares or rectangles?  (There was a project twenty some years
> ago called System X developed for the Navy by Dean Lucas that started
> into commercialization but never finished as far as I know.)
>
> r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote on 2004-12-16 12:17:28:
>
>> Stephane, have you tried how well this scales to, say, 1000x1000
>> matrices? Indeed, most basic raster GIS functionality is not
> available
>
>> in R packages, and would be welcome. R code is efficient for small
>> problems, but for cases like this scales badly as Marius noted.
>>
>> We are actually working on an interface from R to the functionality
> of
>
>> PCRaster (http://pcraster.geog.uu.nl -- yet another raster GIS), and
>> expect to have this working within a few months. PCRaster is not
> open
>> source, so it is unlikely to become a CRAN package straight away,
> but
>> still it may fill a need.
>>
>> This all depends on availability of sp, the long awaited package
> with
>> classes for spatial point, line, grid, arc/node and polygon data.
> We're
>> working very hard on this, and most likely will announce a beta in
>> January. I expect a PCRasteR package to follow that soon.
>> --
>> Edzer

Dr. Sander P. Oom
Animal, Plant and Environmental Sciences
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Wits 2050
South Africa