[R-sig-Geo] Writing SpatialPolygonsDataFrame object to an ESRI Shape File format? `

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 21 21:31:23 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Rick Reeves wrote:

> Thanks for earlier help finding the new SpatialPolygons classes..
> My final (for now) question, that I can't answer from various
> documents is:
>
> How to write my SpatialxxxxDataFrame object to an ESRI Shape File?
>
> the previous method I used was:
>
> writeSRDFShape(SRDF, OutputShapeFileRoot)
>
> I have both a SpatialPolygon and SpatialPolygonDataFrame objects to use
> as input...

The functions are wrappers in maptools using sp classes, but because
shapefiles have to have dbf, the easy wrapper takes a
SpatialPolygonDataFrame object:

writePolyShape(obj, file="whatever")

with reading now being readShapePoly()

We haven't managed to write a correct *.prj file yet, but would like to -
I think the code is in GDAL and PROJ.4 with examples in GRASS, but I
haven't done it - help would be welcome!

Best wishes,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no