[R-sig-Geo] Current location of the Srings object (or its replacement)?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Dec 21 09:34:06 CET 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:

> Rick, this change has been done a while back already --
> substitute:
> Srings with Polygons
> Sring with Polygon
>
> see also the article about sp in the latest R-News issue.

The reason for the incompatibility, as we wrote at the time, was to reduce
the number of copies of metadata carried around by lines and polygons.

If you happen to have stored objects in SRings format, remove the current
sp, install the older version - the source can be downloaded from:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/S/

and Windows binary for example from:

http://cran.univ-lyon1.fr/bin/windows/contrib/2.1/

and your old spmaptools, write as a shapefile, and read in again after
replacing old sp with the current one. I've had to do this, so I guess I'm
not the only person who finds out that data from a terminated project
needs to be revisited.

Hope this helps,

Roger