[R-sig-Geo] When will be WIn binaires available for spgwr and others

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Aug 22 20:16:14 CEST 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Martin Maechler wrote:

>     Hisaji> Hello.
>     Hisaji> Latest spgwr seems to be very attractive.
>
>     Hisaji> However it will only release in source.
>
>     Hisaji> When will be this and other(spmaptools etc.) win binaries
>     Hisaji> available?
>
> I don't know for sure.
> But if the authors would submit the packages to CRAN
> (as I think they should),
> Windows and Mac binaries would be built almost automatically ----
> unless special external libraries (I'm not talking of R >>packages<< !)
> are required.

Since R 2.1 was released, there is an excellent mechanism for supporting
off-CRAN repositories including source and if available binary packages.
Our repository on sourceforge has been running since R-News 5 (1)
described how to "open up shop". The details for access are on
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net -> Download, and include:

> rSpatial <- "http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/R"
> install.packages("spgwr", repos=rSpatial)

which certainly works for me, also for the Windows binary package (but not
Mac OSX). You do need to install the sp package first from CRAN.

This mechanism does provide a very useful way of making available packages
that are not quite ready for CRAN, and also allow for providing binaries
for packages needing special external libraries, which maintainers can
build against. The disadvantage is that packages on alternative
repositories are not checked nightly against current R installations,
unless the maintainers do this themselves.

Note that this release mechanism is more up-to-date than the regular
sourceforge project page file releases.

Roger