[R-sig-Geo] sp: a package with classes and methods for spatial data in R

Susumu Tanimura stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Fri Apr 15 11:27:39 CEST 2005

Dear Roger Bivand and Edzer Pebesma,

It is happy to see improvement of the sp and related packages.  My
request for easy installation is to prepare your download site to
accept install.package() command inside R.

For example, we can install RGtk package with contriburl option.
> install.packages("RGtk", contriburl="http://www.omegahat.org/download/R/packages")

Another example,
> install.packages("pmg",contriburl="http://www.math.csi.cuny.edu/pmg")

My trial was
> install.packages("sp",contriburl="http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net")
trying URL `http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/PACKAGES'
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
        cannot open URL `http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/PACKAGES'
In addition: Warning message:
cannot open: HTTP status was `404 Not Found'

Concentration on improving R package is  a priority matter, but hope
to provide us a little more convenience.

I apologize if you already have such system on the site.

Thank you.

--
Susumu Tanimura