[R-sig-Geo] Fitting nested variograms to empirical variograms

Eliot McIntire emcintire at forestry.umt.edu
Thu Oct 14 18:50:30 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am new to the list, but I have searched for an answer to this question
in the list archives and couldn't find anything.

Question:
Does anybody have experience with fitting nested variogram models in R?  I
am not having success.

Details:
I am trying fit a nested variogram to an empirical variogram.  I have
tried both gstat and geoR which appear able to do this, but I have come
across these problems:

geoR: I can only run nested variogram models using cov.spatial and this is
not suitable to fit a model to an empirical variogram.  In the help manual
it says that I should inherit cov.spatial in the variofit function,
however, it does not seem to work.  I get:
Error in match.arg(cov.model, choices = c("matern", "exponential",
"gaussian",  :
         there is more than one match in match.arg
my code: F2.1Y.wls.exp = variofit(F2.1Y, ini.cov.pars=starting.values,
fix.nugget=F,  nugget=starting.values.vec, cov.model=c("exp","spherical"))

gstat: I can run nested models using
F2.BA1.fit = fit.variogram (F2.BA1.variogram, vgm(psill=33,"Lin",6, add.to
= vgm(psill=33,"Lin",6, nugget=20) )
                 , print.SSE=T, fit.sills=T, fit.ranges=T )

but I never seem to get a good fit, i.e., it always fails to fit the
empirical variogram.

If anyone has a solution, I also need to calculate the Residual Sums of
Squares to test for the relative fit.

Thank you,
Eliot

--