[R-sig-Geo] Re: R and Arcgis through VBA

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Mar 2 12:05:38 CET 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Christophe Saint-Jean wrote:

> Well,
>     I have just found that it is a known problem of RCom :-(
>
> http://mailman.csd.univie.ac.at/pipermail/rcom-l/2004-January/000095.html
>    The same problem appears in Excel too.
>     Let's hope the next version will fix that ..
> Christophe.

Said to be ready by about useR! in Vienna in May. Maybe other parts of the
connector work better - I've put a zip archive on:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/stag/R_ArcGIS_example.zip

with R_ArcGIS_example.frm and R_ArcGIS_example.frx in it. This
demonstrates and times moving a band from a raster (add a jpeg to an
empty map in ArcMap) to R, returning the log of data+1. This was
originally written by Helge Astad, and the timings show it goes fast once
R is started.

Should we try to start a repository of *.frm/*.frx forms as demos
somewhere? Learning from examples seems to be a good way forward?

Roger