[R-sig-Geo] Where is the Changelog of maptools?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 28 11:02:49 CEST 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Susumu Tanimura wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is happy to see version-up of maptools.  I admire Roger's work.
>
> However the change-log that may describe the improvement of maptools
> was not found.  Is not there system to inform the difference in R
> package?

Thanks a lot for this comment - implemented in maptools_0.4-5, sent to
CRAN/incoming this morning, should be available before long. The solution
is a file called "changes" in inst/ in the source package, in the package
root when installed, and accessed by maptools(changes=TRUE); it may be
improved internally, but the access function should continue to look like
this.

The recent changes have been caused by stress-testing with strange
shapefiles, with 0.4-4 trying to avoid occasional crashes under Windows
(re-writing C code for interfacing shapelib functions) and 0.4-5 removing
a buffer overflow when DBF files had character fields wider than 50
characters.

Please bear with me on these changes - the longer-term goal is to read
point shapefiles into an S4 class SpatialDataFrame and polygons into
SpatialDataFramePolygons as documented in the alpha "sp" package on
sourcefourge under "r-spatial", but S3 maptools will continue to be
supported even when the more robust S4 version is released to CRAN (about
September/October). Should we try to post a roadmap on sourceforge? - I
would encourage people to look at "sp" and report your experiences.