[R-sig-Geo] LM tests

Munroe, Darla K dkmunroe at email.uncc.edu
Fri Feb 27 21:39:05 CET 2004

yes, I'm sorry - you are right - I somehow temporarily forgot what
row-standardization exactly does!

But some of logic still holds - you preserve the ranking from low to high in
distance from all j to each individual i; the problem is you will lose the
differences among each of the is - i.e., you'll lose the effect of
observations that are relatively far away, and all the dijs are higher, for
example.

So does that make sense - row-standardizing a distance matrix will yield
something more like a k-nearest neighbors matrix?  I.e., for each i, you
will just rank the neighbors from low to high, but you will lose the
variation to distinguish which observations are more fringe, vs. more
central.

sorry for the confusion - I should think more before I send email.