[R-sig-Geo] LM tests

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 27 21:33:22 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Munroe, Darla K wrote:

> I was thinking about this issue, and correct me if I'm wrong -
>
> If you row-standardize the distance weights, you will in effect rescale
> them, but you will not change the scale of the weights themselves, correct?
> I.e., row standardization means dividing the weight for each observation by
> the total # of non-zero elements for that row, correct?  Well, each
> observation by definition in a distance matrix has the same number of
> "neighbors" (i.e., all n-1), correct?  So 1/dij (or whatever your distance
> matrix is) becomes 1/dij/n.

I'm not sure about that. What you are dividing by is the row sum:

\sum_j w_{ij}, and w_{ij} = 1/d_{ij}, so the sum will be smaller for
places a long way from others, and larger for places near most others,
won't it?

In the R spirit, try it out:

> set.seed(1)
> try <- 1/as.matrix(dist(cbind(rnorm(100), rnorm(100))))
> diag(try) <- 0
> summary(rowSums(try))
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
  45.07   68.97   90.05   91.78  113.40  153.10

So places with different "connectedness" will get "flattened", I think.
But then I'm not sure that full matrices are so very informative (there is
a literature about reconstructing maps of relative position from neighbour
graphs, I think, so the sparse binary weights actually carry quite a lot
of information - more parsimonious anyway).

Roger