[R-sig-Geo] Hex GIS, (was) Moving-window ...

Frank Hardisty HardistF at gwm.sc.edu
Fri Dec 17 21:14:17 CET 2004

Denis and All,

The best thing out there is probably the "hexbin" package in R, based
on Dan Carr's work. It's not a GIS, however. Hexagons do have some very
nice properties for spatial analysis.

-Frank Hardisty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frank Hardisty
Department of Geography
University of South Carolina
hardisty at sc.edu
Office -- 803-777-5729
Fax -- 803-777-4972
http://www.cla.sc.edu/geog/faculty/hardistf/

>>> <White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov> 12/17/04 12:18PM >>>
Does anyone know of a GIS based on a regular hexagon tessellation
rather
than on squares or rectangles?  (There was a project twenty some years
ago called System X developed for the Navy by Dean Lucas that started
into commercialization but never finished as far as I know.)

r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote on 2004-12-16 12:17:28:

> Stephane, have you tried how well this scales to, say, 1000x1000
> matrices? Indeed, most basic raster GIS functionality is not
available

> in R packages, and would be welcome. R code is efficient for small
> problems, but for cases like this scales badly as Marius noted.
>
> We are actually working on an interface from R to the functionality
of

> PCRaster (http://pcraster.geog.uu.nl -- yet another raster GIS), and
> expect to have this working within a few months. PCRaster is not
open
> source, so it is unlikely to become a CRAN package straight away,
but
> still it may fill a need.
>
> This all depends on availability of sp, the long awaited package
with
> classes for spatial point, line, grid, arc/node and polygon data.
We're