[R-sig-Geo] Fitting SAR models in spdep (was: spatial 2SLS)

Danlin Yu danlinyu at csd.uwm.edu
Mon Dec 13 20:52:25 CET 2004

Dear Professor Roger Bivand:

   Yes, you are right, the total number of links is 686040, much more than
10*n (that is 3437) in the dataset.

   Some of the study area is really dense in data, but some is really
sparse. So the chosen distance ensuring there won't be any non-zero links
yield a large number of links. The actual reports from print.nb follows:

Neighbour list object:
Number of regions: 3437
Number of nonzero links: 686040
Percentage nonzero weights: 5.807515
Average number of links: 199.6043

   Please keep me posted if the chol() problem is solved. Thanks. Danlin

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Roger Bivand wrote:

> [...]
> study area with many neighbours. Use print.nb() to find out how many.
>
> > However, I tried both "sparse" and
> > "SparseM" method on errorsarlm(), both failed to go through, the errors
> > given as follow:
> >
> >     For "sparse" method:
> >     "Error in spwdet(sparseweights, rho = rho, debug = debug) :
> >         Suspicious allocation of memory in sparse functions
> >          ...bailing out! Save workspace and quit R!"
>
> Yes, this is the memory bug. It does happen on most/all GCC compiled
> versions, but I've seen BSD versions that work - it depends on the memory
> allocation code, but it has not been possible to solve. I am planning to
> drop "sparse" before long, unless the memory bug is resolved.
>

> >     For "SparseM" method:
> >     "Error in .local(x, ...) : Increase tmpmax
>
> This is the problem: tmpmax is defined in chol() for "matrix.csr" objects
> as only 10 times the number of rows. I think you have more neighbour links
> than 10*n, and that means I need to find a way of passing a better value
> through. Please let me know, this looks do-able.
>
> Roger
>
> >      Error in det(chol(x)) : Unable to find the argument "x" in selecting
> >      a method for function "det" "
> >
> >     By the way, I am still using R 2.0.0 and when I loaded the libraries,
> > I got warnings. I will keep trying and keep you posted as I progress.
> > Thanks.

> > > I think you mean the two SAR fitting functions, lagsarlm() and
> > > errorsarlm()? The default method is "eigen", which does need plenty of
> > > memory with large n (because it both solves the eigenproblem for an nxn
> > > matrix, and later inverts an nxn matrix). There has always been a "sparse"
> > > method using code from Netlib called sparse from UCB, which works on some
> > > platforms, but not others, and has an unresolved memory bug.
> > >
> > > I'm pleased to report that Roger Koenker has been kind enough to add a
> > > det() for symmetric (and similar to symmetric) sparse matrices to the
> > > SparseM package. From spdep_0.3-5, spdep depends on SparseM, and
> > > errorsarlm() is now pretty dependable for large n and fast. lagsarlm() is
> > > dependable, but its fitting speed is slowed by fitting models for LR tests
> > > dropping each of the X variables in turn, as well as the specified model,
> > > so that it fits k models, not just 1. The function calls for the lag
> > > models are cheaper than the error models, though.
> > >
> > > The restriction to symmetric (and similar to symmetric) sparse matrices is
> > > important to bear in mind. With symmetric neighbour lists (contiguity,
> > > graphe-based and distance bands), and even symmetric inverse distances,
> > > and all weighting styles this is OK (because "W" and "S" style are similar
> > > to symmetric, and the others are symmetric), but absolutely not for
> > > k-nearest-neighbours or for asymmetric general weights (say migration
> > > tables).
> > >
> > > I would be very interested in hearing whether this approach is helpful,

    Sincerely,
    Danlin Yu

Email: danlinyu at uwm.edu