[R-sig-Geo] early rgdal example

Timothy H. Keitt tkeitt at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 27 19:38:42 CEST 2004

Yes, I think the issue was size and Roger was right to not include a
54MB file in the package! I had it there originally simply because I
thought it was cool that you could easily display a 54MB file in R.
(GDAL is good at subsampling images.)

BTW, I can report a recent rgdal success. We've been working with global
MODIS 1/2 kilometer datasets which are huge. My student was using
ArcGrid, but it sputters and dies just thinking about files that large
(its amazing to me that someone can charge those prices for code that
can't catch out-of-memory exceptions!) Five lines of code in R was
enough to row-by-row multiply a few gigs of data. Took a couple of
minutes. Less time than restarting our lone XP box after ArcGIS took it
down.

T.