[R-sig-Geo] Re: Adjacency matrices

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Oct 24 23:27:18 CEST 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Nicholas Lewin-Koh wrote:

> Hi,
> >From the sound of this it is time
> to grit my teeth and get the quadtree code working for maptools.
> That should translate for a polygon list from Spdep and allow
> calculation of adjacency matrices in R for moderate to large maps.

Actually poly2nb() isn't too slow for small data sets, such as those most
of the GeoBUGS users seem to need, and for Windows users GeoDa does pretty
well. I think Barry Rowlingson has (?) some quadtree code, but you are
right, there is some in or near shapelib too (shptree?). This would give
better spatial searching too (which poly is locator() in?), wouldn't it?
Is this functionality that would be appreciated?

> Oh if I could put time in a bottle ......

Let me know if you find a way - CET people get one hour extra early Sunday
morning!

Roger