[R-sig-Geo] How to extract part of Map object using maptools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Nov 20 14:25:41 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Hisaji Ono wrote:

> Hi.
>
>  Rmap can extract parts of Map object as follows.

Rmap has a nice "proxy" view of the data file, which is not read in until
needed. So it implements subsetting during the read action (shapefile()
just checks that the file exists and can be opened by the declared
driver).

>  columbus<- shapefile("columbus.shp") " load shapefile
>
>  plot(columbus[columbus$CRIME > mean(columbus$CRIME)]) # filter by attribute
> & plot
>
>  But I don't know how to do this by maptools.

In maptools it could be implemented by writing a subset tool for either
Map or polylist objects, but just running subset() on a polylist will not
work directly, because the new list does not have the correct class. But
it isn't difficult, I'll add it to the next maptools release. How should
the bounding box be handled, should it be left as is, or reduced to suit
the subset?

Roger