[R-sig-Geo] Re: [R] A package for spatial data classes: request for comments

Luc Anselin anselin at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 6 13:49:13 CET 2003

There is better documentation, I'll look for a digital form
or maybe somebody else has found it already.
The construction of topology is a tradeoff. It is (can be)
fast, so it can be done on the fly. This is actually what
ArcGIS 8.2 and later does, topology is no longer "stored".
I have found that in spatial regression when the same
weights object is used over and over (e.g., 3000+ US
counties, or multiples of 100 000 in real estate transactions),
it makes sense to store it and to somehow
relate it back to the original coverage. This doesn't
necessarily mean it has to be part of the class design
for that object, but the connection should be there.
Also, this is a one to many relationship, in that multiple
weights can be constructed for the same coverage.
L.