[R-sig-Geo] Re:multivariate moran & lisa for spdep

Luc Anselin anselin at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 17:19:09 CET 2003

no, you're right about the Wartenberg approach :)
The implementation in GeoDa doesn't follow Wartenberg,
only in spirit. It is simply Wy on x where both y and x have
been standardized (mean zero, sd = 1). I'm not sure it's
always that meaningful in a general bivariate sense, but
for space-time analysis it is. Here, y and x would be the
same variable but one time period apart (how is x at i
correlated with its neighbors at another point in time).
Best not to make  too much of these bivariate associations
thought, they often hide more complex multivariate
relationships.
Thanks for the pointer on the grand tour Moran scatterplot
idea. That is indeed very interesting.
L.