[R-sig-Geo] Re: [R] A package for spatial data classes: request for comments

Luc Anselin anselin at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 3 17:45:48 CET 2003

As I mentioned to Roger Bivand a few days ago, it might be a good
idea to take a look at the spatial classes in ESRI's ArcGIS. In my
view they are not 100% ready for statistical analysis, but the vector
classes are very well structured. What is missing is an efficient
way to incorporate "topology" (contiguity structure) to provide
an easy way to construct spatial weights. In GeoDa, we build this
from scratch, using the shape files, but  that's not the way it
should be (although very fast).
L.