[R-SIG-Finance] rugarch: External Regressor

alexios galanos @|ex|o@ @end|ng |rom 4d@c@pe@com
Wed Jan 11 22:35:06 CET 2023

Here's a reproducible example on how you can pass starting parameters
and bounds:

library(rugarch)
library(xts)
data("dmbp")
dmbp <- as.xts(dmbp, as.Date(1:nrow(dmbp)))
spec <- ugarchspec(mean.model = list(armaOrder = c(0,0), include.mean =
TRUE),
                    variance.model = list(model = "sGARCH", garchOrder =
c(1,1), external.regressors = dmbp[,2]))

setstart(spec) <- list("vxreg1" = 0.5)
setbounds(spec) <- list("vxreg1" = c(0, 1))
spec using model$start.pars
mod <- ugarchfit(spec, dmbp[,1])

I suspect this may also be related to a parameter scaling issue as well.
I'm working on a new implementation which should hopefully fix
this and many other issues (autodiff gradients/hessian, option for
multiplicative regressors, parameter scaling. standard error calculation
options etc), but won't have something out for at least a few months (it
will eventually be located in this repo: github.com/tsmodels/).

Regards,

Alexios