[R-SIG-Finance] collect data from the web

Ezra Tucker ezr@ @end|ng |rom |@ndtucker@com
Sun Sep 27 15:09:19 CEST 2020

Hm personally I can only give unhelpful help but I can give (1) some general pointers that have helped me, and (2) a possibly different approach.

What usually works for me when dealing with getting data from the web involves using the developer tools in a web browser. If you can see what requests your browser makes, and the server responses you get, you should be able to reproduce them using the httr package (or rcurl, etc) and parse the response using rvest.

That all being said, after a quick glance at this page, it looks like several iframes (web pages within web pages, basically) and a lot of javascript. Javascript can be tougher to get data out of in a programmatic kind of way, which leads me to option #2-- are there any other sources of these data that might be easier to deal with?

It *Looks* like you're trying to get stock price data for IBOVESPA - is this the same thing as ^BVSP ? if so, have you tried using the quantmod package?

library(quantmod)
getSymbols("^BVSP", src = "yahoo")  # this will automatically get the data, and assign it to a variable called "BVSP"
print(BVSP)

Hopefully that helps some.

--
ezra using landtucker.com