[R-SIG-Finance] How to access rugarch output object ?

Eric Berger ericjberger @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Nov 26 16:35:16 CET 2018

Hi John,
Regarding your specific question about alpha1 it is possible.
In general it should be possible to get the values you want from other R
packages *if* those packages return it somewhere in the object (ok that's a
tautology).

I don't have huge experience with the rugarch package but I did the
following "poking around" and solved your issue. Here's the general
approach.

> foo <- somefunc()  # grab the output of the function you care about (e.g.
ugarchfit() )
> str(foo)  # dump information about the output (str = 'structure')
> summary(foo) # dump more information, if it exists

look for what you need and see if you can isolate it.

In the ugarchfit case there was a lot of output so I did the following
> sink("tmpfile")
> str(foo)
> summary(foo)
> sink()

to get the output into a text file. Then I searched for 'alpha1' in the
text file. I found it in the 'model' section of the summary output.
I then searched for 'model' and found it is a slot in the output structure
of ugarchfit. (which is an S4 object)

After a few attempts the following works. FYI I used the example in the
help page of the ugarchfit() function. (The first three lines, to set the
output to the variable 'fit' instead of 'foo').

> irow <- match("alpha1", rownames(fit using model$pars))
> alpha1 <- fit using model$pars[irow,1]

That's it.
HTH,
Eric