[R-SIG-Finance] Free download for USD Spot Index

Frank fr@nkm60606 @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Oct 8 20:14:54 CEST 2018

As Eric pointed out, the FRED data is not what you want, all the US$ Index data is trade weighted. I’ve asked for the historical cash index values from ICE. It may take a day or two.

Since the weights are constant, I think you can come close by downloading the components from FRED. I’ve modified the script to collect first 'DTWEXM' from FRED and then ‘DEXUSEU’ the Euro dollar exchange rate. I’m lost as to how to combine the other currencies into one getSymbols call.

library(quantmod)
library(chron)

##
## Get DTWEXM Trade Weighted U.S. Dollar Index: Major Currencies from FRED
##
getSymbols('DTWEXM',src='FRED')
DTWEXM<-na.locf(DTWEXM,na.rm = TRUE)
tail(DTWEXM)
file_name <- "DTWEXM.csv"
write.zoo(DTWEXM, file = file_name, append = FALSE, quote = TRUE, sep = ",")

##
## Get DEXUSEU U.S. / Euro Foreign Exchange Rate
##
getSymbols('DEXUSEU',src='FRED')
DEXUSEU<-na.locf(DEXUSEU,na.rm = TRUE)
tail(DEXUSEU)
file_name <- "DEXUSEU.csv"
write.zoo(DEXUSEU, file = file_name, append = FALSE, quote = TRUE, sep = ",")
quit()