[R-SIG-Finance] Rugarch package - Reasoning for the choice of lags in the Ljung-Box and ARCH LM tests

alexios galanos @lexio@ @ending from 4d@c@pe@com
Tue Jun 5 05:22:49 CEST 2018

The tests on the (squared) standardized residuals must be adjusted for
the degrees of freedom: df (which must be >no.lags used in test) which
is model dependent. For a GARCH(1,1) model this is equal to 2. For
Weighted Ljung-Box Test and lag=1 the package sets the df=0 (perhaps
badly), otherwise:

1. For Weighted Ljung-Box : lags = max(2, 2 * df + df - 1) and max(5, 4
* df + df - 1)

2. For Weighted ARCH LM: lags = df+c(1,3,5)

You are of course free to choose any other lags and run the tests
separately using the WeightedPortTest package.

Regards,

Alexios