[R-SIG-Finance] rugarch robust covariance matrix definition

Vivek Rao vivekrao4 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 03:45:18 CET 2017

Consistent with the comments of Alexios, a paper "Software implementation and testing of GARCH models" available at https://www.nag.co.uk/doc/TechRep/pdf/Tr4_00.pdf concluded that

"reliable parameter estimates and associated standard errors could only be
achieved when at least 300 observations were included in the GARCH model. More difficult
GARCH models (those with more parameters to estimate or higher volatility memory) were found
to require even more observations to obtain consistent parameter estimates."

Vivek Rao
Boston, MA