[R-SIG-Finance] RQuantLib: AmericanOptionImpliedVolatility bug

Charles Duranceau cduranceau at nial.ky
Wed May 31 01:01:28 CEST 2017

Hi Robert,
Thank you for your feedback. I don’t disagree with you. There must be a (positive) time value in the option in order to have an implied volatility. But the implied volatility is function of the model (pricing engine).
I now think the problem is located to the engine="BaroneAdesiWhaley" when risk free rate is negative.

Let me take another approach by calculating the premium for the same option (with the same parameter) using an arbitrary volatility of 30% (below I paste the example) so using directly the option valuation to calculate the premium I will get

Option intrinsic value = 14.49957
EuropeanOption = 14.5019 => this is expected:  very little time value due to deep in-the-money and little time before expiration
AmericanOption, engine="CrankNicolson"= 14.5019 => it is floored to European option value but the early exercise has no value as rate is negative
AmericanOption, engine="BaroneAdesiWhaley" = error message => this is not expected

 “Error in americanOptionEngine(type, underlying, strike, dividendYield,  : forward + displacement (-8.68397e+012 + 0) must be positive”

I suspect here the engine="BaroneAdesiWhaley" does not behave well under a negative rate. I don’t have this error when rate is positive. Adding a positive (and higher) dividend yield does not help either which isolate the problem to the rate side.
My understanding of BAW approximation for non-dividend American put is that it is not optimal to exercise when rates are negative (negative carry) and thus should default to the European option value.

Regards

Replication in R

library(RQuantLib)
strike = 65
Spot= 50.5
Rate = -0.00361
DividendYield = 0
Volatility = 0.3
YearToMaturity = 3/365

(strike-Spot)*exp((Rate-DividendYield)*YearToMaturity) # intrinsic value
EuropeanOption("put", Spot, strike,DividendYield, Rate,YearToMaturity, Volatility)
AmericanOption("put", Spot, strike, DividendYield, Rate,YearToMaturity, Volatility,timeSteps=150, gridPoints=149, engine="CrankNicolson")
AmericanOption("put", Spot, strike, DividendYield, Rate,YearToMaturity, Volatility,timeSteps=150, gridPoints=149, engine="BaroneAdesiWhaley") # error