[R-SIG-Finance] Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Performance Analytics internal multivariateMoments calculations]

Joe W. Byers ecjbosu at aol.com
Tue May 23 16:50:37 CEST 2017

Gentlemen,

I so appreciate this feedback.  I do have a followup just so I fully
understand.  The functions mVaR.MM and mES.MM both require the raw 3rd
and 4th moments, not the standardized skewness and kurtosis statistics.
And, would Dries mind sharing the simplified formulas that he mentions.

Again, thank you both very much.

Joe

On 05/23/2017 05:14 AM, Brian G. Peterson wrote:

> [...]
>>> 0 to compare with GVAR.MM.  Still questions.  I have the following
>>> example
>>>
>>> #test for sigfinance
>>> w = 1000000;
>>> Mean = 0.0001898251;
>>> Stdev = 0.01612464;
>>> ExKurtosis = 3.946156;
>>> Skewness = -0.1373454;
>>>
>>> GVaR = GVaR.MM(w,Mean,Stdev, .95)
>>> GVaR
>>> MVaR = mVaR.MM(w,Mean,Stdev, 0,0, .95);
>>> #shoud be equal to GVaR
>>> GVaR==MVaR
>>> MVaR
>>>
>>> mVaR.MM does not return the GVaR.MM.  I found the exkurt was not zero
>>> as
>>> I think it should be.  I remove the - 3 from that line and exkurt
>>> became
>>> zero and mVaR.MM == GVaR results.  I have included this modified
>>> version
>>> of mVaR.MM below and continued the test.  Is this an issue or am I
>>> missing something?
>>>

>>> #corrected exkurt calc
>>> mVaR.MM1 = function(w, mu, sigma, M3, M4, p ){
>>>    skew = skewness.MM(w,sigma,M3);
>>>    exkurt = kurtosis.MM(w,sigma,M4); #removed -3
>>>    z = qnorm(1-p);
>>>    zc = z + (1/6)*(z^2 -1)*skew
>>>    Zcf = zc + (1/24)*(z^3 - 3*z)*exkurt - (1/36)*(2*z^3 - 5*z)*skew^2;
>>>    return ( -multivariate_mean(w,mu) - Zcf*StdDev.MM(w,sigma) )
>>> }
>>>
>>> #call revised mVAR.MM with m3 and m4 equal 0
>>> MVaR1 = mVaR.MM1(w,Mean,Stdev, 0,0, .95);
>>> #shoud be equal to GVaR
>>> GVaR==MVaR1
>>> MVaR1
>>>
>>> #with m3 and m4 not zero
>>> MVaR1 = mVaR.MM1(1, Mean, Stdev, Skewness, ExKurtosis, .95);
>>> MVaR1
>>>
>>> MVaR1 = mVaR.MM1(w, Mean, Stdev, Skewness, ExKurtosis, .95);
>>> MVaR1
>>>
>>> This result still looks strange and would appreciate any thoughts,
>>> with
>>> 1 or w weights, I get the same just scaled.  Note this is real

--
*Joe W. Byers*