[R-SIG-Finance] Estimating a one-factor model using the DLM package

Paul Teetor paulteetor at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 10:52:46 CET 2017

Oops. I see that my "ASCII TeX" depiction of the matrix form got scrambled. Oh well. If you follow the link, you can see the matrix form there.

Paul Teetor, Elgin, IL  USA
http://quantdevel.com/public

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:49 PM, Paul Teetor via R-SIG-Finance <r-sig-finance at r-project.org> wrote:

Hannu,

The MARSS package could solve your problem, but it seems like over-kill for a simple model like this.

I wrote some R code to demonstrate using dlm to fit your model. You can see the code here.

http://bit.ly/spreadModel-dlm

The code fits all three parameters: a, b, and c; plus the variances and initial value.

I did not have much time to test the code, but it seems to run correctly. To use dlm, I
had to put your model into this matrix form:

#                  _    _
#                 |      |
#   y[t] = [a, b] * |   1  | + u[t]
#                 |      |
#                 | s[t] |
#                 |_    _|
#
#  _    _     _    _     _      _     _    _
#   |   1  |   | 1  0 |   |   1    |   |   0  |
#   | s[t] |   | 0  c |   | s[t-1] |   | v[t] |
#

Good luck. I hope your model works well.

Paul

Paul Teetor, Elgin, IL  USA
http://quantdevel.com/public