[R-SIG-Finance] Importing batch tickers from Bloomberg to R for Rblpapi use

Jason Hart jasonhart4 at icloud.com
Thu Apr 7 03:35:07 CEST 2016

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and there is a lot of great stuff in here, I can see the previous posts will keep me busy for a long time.  I discovered the Rblpapi package not too long ago and was wondering if there is a way to import multiple tickers rather than typing them in manually.  I plan on importing dozens to hundreds of tickers at a time and entering them in manually one at a time is prohibitive for time purposes.  I tried to import the tickers from a CSV file but I get an error message that says "expecting a string vector".  My coding is light years behind the group so apologies in advance for a softball question but here is the code I'm using.  When I type in imp all of the tickers show up in the R console but they will not work with the bloomberg data requests.

imp <- read.csv("bloomberg.csv")
###attempt to import tickers from excel
bdp(imp, c("PX_LAST", "VOLUME"))

Thanks,